Saturday, October 24, 2009

the world's best chocolate croissant

Today was practically the best day in the history of the world.

Some of you may have heard from my mom that the darling, amazing little bakery across the street from our house was closed for remodel for the past three weeks.

I'll be frank: It was the hardest three weeks of my life.
OK, I exaggerate. But honestly, it was shocking how quickly we had become reliant on our bakery... walking over there every morning at six thirty am to grab a loaf of still-warm bread and a pastry or two for breakfast... mmm.

So, when we woke up one Monday morning a few weeks ago, and found the bakery closed and dark, we were slightly traumatized... we had to make do with buying bread from the supermarket for three whole weeks!

Today, the bakery reopened. It was better than Christmas. We walked across the street and entered, and it smelled like butter and flour and chocolate. There were new types of bread, and baskets heaped with croissants, pain au chocolat, croissants, tartlets, and various types of rolls. It was heaven in carbohydrate form.We splurged, buying two loaves of bread, two types of croissant, and these tiny, delicious apple-almond tarts dusted with lots of powdered sugar. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the actual pastries--we ate them too quickly.

Now, we're off on a hike in the Alps for the rest of the day, to exercise off all that amazing bread!(The view of the bakery from my bedroom window)


Also, a quick thank you to everyone who commented, and let me know they were following my blog! :]

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I think I would gain 20 pounds, at least. I am so jealous...yet again! :o)

    ReplyDelete