Sunday, June 27, 2010

Le dernier jour

I won't say it's my last day in Switzerland because I'm coming back for three weeks at the end of the summer, but it kind of is my last day... When I come back in two months, it will be more as a visitor, and less as a resident. I'll still have my residency permit, and technically I'll still be a Swiss resident, but it won't feel the same.

I cannot believe that the last eleven months have zipped by so quickly. This time last year, my family and I were frantically packing everything into boxes, making endless trips to the dump and Goodwill, crossing our fingers that our visas would be cleared, and hoping that the decision we just made would be a good one.

It was.

While I feel incredibly nostalgic looking at my California friends' graduation pictures, and really wish I could have been there to share that moment, this year in Switzerland has given me so much. I may not be fluent in French, and may not be able to make fondue from scratch, but I've learned so much living here... and I'm going to miss it so much! I remember writing back in October that Switzerland was starting to feel like home, and how weird it was to have two places feel like that--here and California. Now, I can't imagine Switzerland not being one of my homes.

And next year, Cincinnati will become a new home. And we'll see where it goes from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment